Tuesday, May 31 2016
All Cities
Choose Your City
'In the West sometimes they think that Siberia is snow and nothing else. But there is such life and energy here!'
dancer Sergei Polunin

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family found in a remote Urals museum

By The Siberian Times reporter
08 May 2013

Tsar Nicholas II appears in a photograph to be teaching his daughter Grand Duchess Anastasia how to smoke.

A zoo on the Tzar's estate would be closed after the 1917 revolution, but on that day the ruler wrote in his diary: 'Took the elephant to our pond with Alexei today and had fun watching him bath'. Picture: Zlatoust City History Museum

Another picture taken by the emperor dated 1916 shows Tsarevich Alexei - heir to an autocratic throne that would be abolished the following year - posing on a tree in winter with his beloved pet spaniel Joy.

Found in a vault in Zlatoust, the album shows the private moments of the royals as the storm clouds gather over a dynasty that had ruled for more than three centuries.

The smoking picture shows the youngest princess Anastasia, then 15, evidently imbibing from a cigarette with every encouragement from the Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias. At the time there was not the same stigma attached to smoking and in fact a year earlier Anastasia had written to her father: 'I am sitting here with your old cigarette that you once gave me, and it is very tasty'.

She - like Alexei - would soon be central characters in the mystery of what became of the Romanov family.

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

The smoking picture shows the youngest princess Anastasia, then 15, evidently imbibing from a cigarette with every encouragement from the Emperor and Autocrat of All the Russias. Pictures: Zlatoust City History Museum

For decades there were claims that the pair had survived the 1918 shooting that took the lives of Russia's last royal ruler, his former empress Alexandra, and their other three children, Olga, Tatiana and Maria.

In the event, DNA evidence gathered from bones found near Yekaterinburg gives credible evidence that both were indeed killed in the shooting at the Ipatiev House, where the family were held by Lenin's forces. Anastasia and her brother were, however, buried separately from the rest of the family.

The images of Alexei show a surprisingly strong boy given that his haemophilia saw him portrayed as sickly.

Indeed it was his serious illness that led his mother to rely on debauched holy man Grigory Rasputin, a relationship that did much to undermine royal credibility as the country became embroiled in an ugly war and revolutionary fervour.

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

These images of the Russian royal family, captured in photographs taken by the Tsar himself or his children, mostly date from the years of the First World War, and some very soon before the Romanov dynasty crumbled, to be rapidly replaced by Communism. Pictures: Zlatoust City History Museum

In one of the earlier pictures in the set, the four carefree Romanov princesses are seen in 1914 enjoying the royal yacht 'Standart' on the Black Sea.

The same year at Peterhof, the Tsar is shown relaxing on rocks in a picture almost certainly taken by one of his children using a camera he had imported from Britain. And in another picture, the Tsar, Alexei and the boy's tutor are seen walking an elephant near their palace in Tsarskoye Selo.

A zoo on the estate would be closed after the 1917 revolution, but on this day the ruler wrote in his diary: 'Took the elephant to our pond with Alexei today and had fun watching him bath'.

With war breaking out in 1914, the heir is shown in a military game with his tutor's two smaller children. In 1916, as he commanded Russian forces in the First World War, the Tsar is seen playing with his son on the banks of the Dnieper River close to Mogilyov. Here - where the smoking picture was taken - Russian military headquarters was based during the war, and Nicholas insisted on having his family around him.

Other pictures show the older princesses visiting wounded soldiers in military hospitals.

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Private pictures of Russian Royal family, Grand Duchess Tatiana

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Top to bottom: Grand Duchess Olga and Tatiana, Grand Duchess Olga pictured looking through family album; Grand Duchess Tatiana; clockwise Grand Duchess Olga, Tatiana, Maria and Anastasia; Tsarina Alexandra Fyodorovna on board of Russian Royal Yacht. Pictures: Zlatoust City History Museum

The images have been released in a year which marks the 400th anniversary of the Romanov's coming to power in Russia.

'The emperor was very fond of photography and passed his passion for it to his wife Alexandra and children,' said Milena Bratukhina, an historian at the Zlatoust Museum where the album was hidden in Soviet times.

It remains unclear how it got to Zlatoust.  One theory is that the album - which has 200-plus pictures, many never seen before - was taken from the royals by a revolutionary called Dmitry Chudinov, nicknamed Kassian, who was an escort when the exiled royals were brought westward from Tobolsk in Siberia to Yekaterinburg on their final move before they were shot.

He was from Zlatoust and it is known that he appropriated some royal possessions. The album could have been among them.

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Remarkable private pictures of the Russian royal family

Private pictures from Russian Royal family album, Tsar Nikolai II

Comments (58)

My mother Anastasia Tarashuck has been working on the family genealogy. Her father John Tarashuck resided in Peabody Massachusetts. He was born 1917 and died 1950. Now this may be absolutely nothing but my mom's photo and the photos of Anastasia are very much alike. I know I am being extremely vague with the info but I just wanted to share.
Shannon Francis, West Paris, Maine USA
21/05/2016 00:58
Katthy didowsky On 09//01/2016 you made comment what are the mystery visible markers that were spoken of on Czar Nicholas 11 and two of his children, I can advise the visible inherited DNA markers spoken of can be seen on RoyalBloodlineDescent on Facebook.

I am very aware of the royal visible DNA markers of some related royals as I too have inherited the same as did my children from me as is the same in related royal lines. My inheritance is from a old German noble family who shared the same ancestor of Czar Nicholas 11.. I hope I have given you some answers to your question.

Frederic
RoyalBloodlineDescent, USA /Canada
02/04/2016 04:23
Could the real anastacia Romanov that escaped with a friend to a remote village in china .the story goes her friend was shot dead and anastacia wounded she survived she may have married a man called Ivan korenech or korentsov from a wealth family in Russia he was brought to the village to marry her they later moved to australia after anastacia died in adelaide australia in the late 1979 or 1980s people asked a few yeas later to have bone tests done her eldest son declined why would these people ask for that who was she she was my grandmothers mother this was the story my father was told by anastacia before she died
Fred stognev, Adelaide south australia
30/03/2016 12:04
The inherited DNA visible marker from birth are shared by three related royal linesm NIcholas 11 his son Alexis and his tall cousin. . His German cousin the Kaiser as well and a few past royals in GB.

The scientist re examining Nichola 11 and his family I don't believe they are aware of mentioned \visible |DNA markers.

Regal Bloodline \Decent
Regal Bloodline Decent, Canada
02/02/2016 20:44
what are the mysterious visible markings of the czar. I have strong belief that there is a link to this lineage in my husband(also Russian descent) in his family.
kathy didkowsky, canada
07/01/2016 05:14
i was wondering about the family tree.I know a family in tacoma wa. dearnoff that have some kindvof direct lineage to the famuly. is there a way for them to discover more. About thier distant cousins?
06/12/2015 15:21
Some went to Australia. Funeral on Monday 30th November of Leonid Kulikovsky great grandson of Alexander 111 Romanov and grand son of Grand duchess Olga. Mr Kulikovsky died on 27th September and service will be conducted at the Serbian Orthodox Church, Darwin, NT, Australia at 1pm.
psyfly, Australia
29/11/2015 02:53
I will try to show those readers who have interest in what I have been saying by mentioning that Nicholas 11, first cousin was Kaiser Wilhelm 11 of Germany, been that they shared a German Russian Romanov bloodline both Nicholas 11 and Wilhelm 11 inherited the same DNA visible markers from birth as did both of their sons. In the case of Nicholas daughter Anastasia she too inherited the same.

The same blood line leads back to certain royals within GB butt that's another story of facts.

Frederic von Ebert
nelson.manor.house@gmail.com
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver Canada
18/08/2015 01:36
I have in my possession a photo of Czar Nicholas 11 and his tall uncle a grand duke that can be seen on this group of photos but in the ones I have both Czar Nicholas 11 and his uncle the Grand Duke show identical visible DNA ancestor markers,

The interesting part of the mentioned same ancestor DNA visible markers show the royal Romanoff gene is still been inherited in a few royal whose lineage were related.

Frederic von Ebert

nelson.manor.house@gmail.com
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver Canada
16/08/2015 00:34
In my previous comments about certain DNA royal gene marker on Czar Nicholas 11 and his son Alexie inherited at birth as mentioned can be provided but now I have found Anastasia bottom right hand photo shows she too inherited the visible royal gene markers. If on would care to see the facts spoken about Anastasia's picture write to Frederic at nelson.manor.house@gmail and I Will send you photos of the inherited royal gene DNA markers.

Frederic von Ebert
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver Canada
14/08/2015 01:09
My last posted comments of this day I failed to mention one of the 4 photos in private photos of Czar Nicholas 11 and his family where it shows four of the Romanov Princesses. the bottom right photo I believe of Anastasia showed she too inherited the visible royal markers as her father and brother so inherited as well others mentioned.

Frederic von Ebert
nelson.manor.house@gmail.com
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver Canada
12/08/2015 04:04
On my last two posting comments I speak of a rare visible gene appearing at birth on Czar Nicholas 11 and his son Alexi as well as a few other related royals now and then.(photo poof available). I am not a royal nor claim such but I too inherited the same as did my child from me and my grandchild from her mother. I'm advised by geneticists to inherit such visible genetic marker of same design one would share the same ancestor . For those royals who then and now continue to share the same as I, the difference is we share the same ancestor but they are of royal linage and I am not. As one geneticist said what we share is a complex family line inheritance

Frederic von Ebert
nelson.manor.house@gmail.com
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver BC
12/08/2015 01:20
Yesterday, I mentioned certain rare royal DNA markers of the past Romanov Royals inherited. such as Czar Nicholas 11 a a couple of his children, continues to descend in new born royals even today

Those who show the same DNA blood line markers today from birth have the right of claim to true royal Romanov claimants. Photos of proof are available to prove facts spoken about..including one of Peter The great showing the same..

Frederic

nelson.manor.house@gmail.com

Frederic, Vancouver BC
08/08/2015 00:38
The new found photos of Czar Nicholas 11 and some of his family are interesting and informative as fact go. One thing I did note is one of the Czar and Czarina daughter appears to have inherited the same royal visible DNA markers as her Father and Brother so inherited. Such DNA markers descended in past related royals then and now.

Frederic
nelson.manor,house@gmail.com
Frederic von Ebert, Vancouver Canada
07/08/2015 02:36
I inherited some similar pictures from my maternal grandparents who left Russia just before the revolution. They are so sad in the light of later events. I cannot judge the rights and wrongs of the royal family but I do know - from my relatives still living in Russia - that life under the communist regime was far worse than anything they experienced under the Romanovs.Пусть Бог благословит Россию-матушку и всех тех, кто умер. May God bless Mother Russia and all those who died.
Peter Blackmore (anglicised from the original)., County Durham. UK.
19/05/2015 18:18