Sunday, Jul 05 2020
All Cities
Choose Your City
'Lake Baikal's ability to purify itself is down to an endemic microscopic shrimp called epischura baikalensis'
'Sacred Sea', Peter Thomson

Doctors use strong magnet to rescue toddler who swallowed 31 magnetic beads

By Olga Gertcyk
15 January 2020

Medics call for ban on such toys, saying damage from them is similar to bullet wounds.

There were more than 10 cases in the last four years, with one involving 12 year child swallowing 87 magnetic balls. Picture: Ministry of Healthcare 

A team of surgeons from Tomsk in Siberia used a powerful magnet to pull a long chain of magnetic beads out of the boy’s stomach. 

The 3 year old complained about severe stomach ache, and doctors said parents arrived to the emergency hospital just in time. 

X-rays

‘These type of surgeries are incredibly hard. Very often children swallow several dozen of magnets. Once they get stuck together through an intestinal wall, they won’t disconnect by themselves’. Picture: Ministry of Healthcare

One of the beads has already gone into his bowel and in several hours would have been pulled towards the rest of the beads in the stomach, likely leading to perforation of both organs’ walls, and causing peritonitis. 

Doctors of number 2 Tomsk ambulance hospital called for a ban on magnetic toys, flagging their danger and saying they see increase of cases with even teenagers swallowing colourful, shiny and bright neodymium balls.

Andrey Karavayev

Andrey Karavayev, chief doctor of Tomsk ambulance hospital no.2. Picture: Dmitry Kandinsky

There were more than 10 cases in the last four years, with one involving 12 year child swallowing 87 magnetic balls. 

‘These type of surgeries are incredibly hard. Very often children swallow several dozen of magnets. Once they get stuck together through an intestinal wall, they won’t disconnect by themselves’, said Andrey Karavayev, chief doctor of Tomsk ambulance hospital no.2. 

Magnetic beads

Doctors see the increase of cases with even teenagers swallowing colourful, shiny and bright neodymium balls. Picture: YouTube

‘Children’s stomachs and bowels look like they were shot with multiple bullets. As a doctor who daily sees consequences of swallowing of such toys I would have banned them altogether.’

Tomsk regional health ministry has also issues a warning to families when buying toys made of magnetic beads or balls. 

The child has been discharged from the hospital in satisfactory state. 

Tomsk ambulance hospital no.2. Picture: Vasily Klokov

Hospital

Comments (2)

Great job, doctors!
SteveC, Odessa, United States
18/01/2020 05:22
1
0
hat off to the Clinical team! and parents should indeed think what toys they buy for their little kids.
Benedikt MORAK, Moscow
16/01/2020 08:21
3
0
1

Add your comment

We welcome a healthy debate, but do not accept offensive or abusive comments. Please also read 'Siberian Times' Privacy Policy

Name

Town/Country

Add your comments

The views expressed in the comments above are those of our readers. 'Siberian Times' reserves the right to pre-moderate some comments.

Control code*

Type the code

* obligatory


News

Business

The Bank of Russia official exchange rates of foreign currencies
EUR79.22USD70.50GBP87.87Other...